Thursday, February 28, 2013

Munchkin at 15 Weeks

Had the 15 week appointment yesterday. It was ok. My regular doctor was in surgery and while the other doctor in the practice who saw me was perfectly nice and professional, and all we were really doing was getting test results and discussing genetics, it really hit home how much a personality matters to me. With my regular OB, she's warm, reassuring, tells funny anecdotal stories and I feel completely comfortable asking anything. She's also the reason I was so confident that I had made the right choice when switching to her from my old OB/GYN. This, of course, is just me and what works for my personality but it really does matter. And yesterday I mainly just felt like a name on a chart, a favor for a co-worker.

But my feeling after the appointment yesterday also made me strongly consider getting a doula. It's something I've looked into a bit already, but I've liked and trusted my OB so far so I wasn't sure I'd really need one. But I think the benefits are amazing, even with the extra cost. To have a personal advocate in case my doctor can't be there, or I don't mesh well with a nurse, or even if everything goes as planned to just have someone helping me with labor right from the start or reassuring Bill so I'm not stressing over what he's thinking, making sure I'm aware of what's going on with my body and our baby, to me that's priceless. This is our first child and maybe my only baby, I'm not seeking perfection by any means but I would like make sure as many pieces are in place to help me during labor. So doula searching has now been added to the checklist.

Of course though, it was wonderful to see B! S/he's gotten leggy, not a little bean anymore. Bill was there too, so we both saw B moving around, not really kicking this time as just seeming to readjust. I think we were still both in awe. It's so funny to see this being on the big screen moving and I still don't feel much. No thumb sucking yet, but this was a major bad habit of mine, so I'm sure that's coming at some point. The baby website say B's the size of an orange, but I'm thinking more like a small mango given the shape.
My Mom's started calling B "Munchkin." And I love that, even
though it's already a nickname for the Hux.
2/27/13- 15 weeks and 1 day

2 comments :

  1. Just curious and I am sure this is "dated" but do they encourage Lamze classes anymore? If nothing else,to help prepare you as well as your partner for understanding labor? It may be something to look into,may give you more confidence with understanding all that will be going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are birthing classes but they're expensive and it's not really my thing. Right now I'm planning on hypnobirthing, can download right onto my ipad and have with me for the birth.

    ReplyDelete