Thursday, February 21, 2013

Bumps & Good News

I'll post some bump pictures later... so this'll just be the placeholder for now. Actually I have a cute story from this morning to share about the bump. I was getting ready for work and Bill was up and wandering around the living room (he was heading to Daytona later in the am, so not our usual morning rush). I stopped to take a breath for a moment before taking off to give him a hug goodbye and he reached out and placed his hand flat on my belly. I looked down and saw this little pop that I don't remember being there yesterday. Of course I said something silly about the baby actually growing or something, but it was just a sweet moment in the midst of chaos that I want to write down to look back on in the months to come. When it won't be nearly as quiet. Where we can take a moment to revel in this little miracle getting bigger. So, on that note, I am excited to get some good pics of the bump tonight (or tomorrow when I'm not so exhausted from work)!
My completely impractical heels

Love the shirt Mom!
Taken 2/22/13 at 14 weeks and 3 days
And... it's been a long week but we have a lot to be thankful for. For those of you who know or don't, I had the usual, presumably standard in this day and age, array of genetic tests done at my first appointment. Everything came back fine with the exception of cystic fibrosis, of which I found out I was a carrier. It was an out-of-left-field discovery as I have zero history on either side. And something completely unexpected that I had absolutely no control over. So Bill was tested a week later and then we went back to waiting. And me trying with all my might to not think of any "what-ifs" and for goodness sakes to STAY OFF THE INTERNET. 

In the midst of this waiting Ash Wednesday hit and completely unexpectedly I found myself in church, sitting through mass in the middle of a busy work week. And let me just clarify, besides making my Mom's day when I'm home or for major holidays, you'll rarely find me in a church. Just not my thing. But I  walked in needing the peace and comfort of something familiar and found giving all that ever present stress and worry over to God for a simple 45 minutes felt good. And more importantly, it worked! So after laughing over why I should give something up for 40 days when I was already giving so much up for 9 months, I decided not to give anything up, per se, but to give my stress and worry and all those in-the-back-of-the head nagging thoughts over to God. Maybe it's silly, or maybe it makes perfect sense, but it works for me. None of that is good for B anyways too so it works on all fronts.

That's made the waiting easier. And this past Tuesday we found out that Bill is not a carrier of the 32 types he was tested for! Of course the Dr. said never say never, but it would be a 1/823 chance (0.001) if B was born with CF. And it's a weight off having to do an amniocentesis too, though we still need to talk to my Dr. in depth to see what she'd recommend. We celebrated with cheeseburgers, a root beer float and some ice cream that night. So funny how celebrating pre-B was a night out on the town and maybe a headache the next morning, and now I'm happiest at home, in comfy clothes, enjoying all-american foods and watching tv. A night of happy calm before baby.

3 comments :

  1. I love your blog,would be happy to share it with special friends if that is okay. Really feel closer to you reading it. It is like the journals I attempted with my pregnancies.
    As for Ash Wednesday, it really is not giving up something for Easter but just giving yourself. I have always found peace sitting in the Eucharistic chapel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Catherine is a nice name for a girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is pretty but did not make our short list. I'll share the names sometime soon, they're very Irish to fit with McKinney:)

    ReplyDelete