Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Moira: Week 3!

Well, we're nearly at week 4 but I figured while we still had time I'd get this one in. It's been a difficult past few days but I've learned to channel Scarlett O'Hara's famous words in that "tomorrow is another day." This past weekend I came down with a bad cold/flu-like symptoms, which I immediately thought might be the dreaded mastitis, which from everything I've read is no fun at all, and due to my anemia I'm more likely to get. And while I'm still not 100%, I am feeling much better today and am thankful that you can still breastfeed while being on most cold medicines. I also had big plans for Moira and I to go to an HRP Mama's meet-up this am, but it was not to be, though not due to Moira or I... but a bad car service. I lost it a little after that, especially since I'd been up since 7am getting myself and Moira ready, practicing folding the stroller, watching instructional videos on how to put in the car seat and all on not much sleep but have managed to turn the day around since then.
I do love Mommy hood though!
But back to week 3, which was actually pretty awesome. Last Sunday was my birthday and while it was low key it was actually pretty great. Bill got me a slow cooker and my sister sent some slow cooker recipe books so I've been having a blast making all sorts of yummy dishes (Mexican pulled pork, chorizo and black eyed pea soup, and tonight- smothered pork chops with bacon and onions). On Monday Bill's Mom came o town and that was an absolute treat. She really has a way with Miss Moira and they got along famously. I was also able to go to lunch with Melissa, do laundry, go to the store and all sans baby. Wednesday night Bill and I even had a date night at our old stomping ground, Marshall Stacks, before heading off to go see the Pixies! And on Friday Bill's Mom and I also had a yummy lunch with her cousin Cathy and Bill's cousins' wife Katy and her son JJ at Peels and enjoyed the outdoor seating there.
Moira's fun tummy time mat (though obviously not doing tummy time at the moment)
We also got our bows! 
In Moira news, every night is still a toss up for how she'll sleep, but I feel like we're making progress. If our scale is correct she's also right at 9 pounds! She's still a tummy time champ and I'm trying to see if there's some kind of schedule she seems to adhere by yet. I'm getting much more comfortable traveling with her around the city and even used my Beco Gemini (awesome carrier by the way!) this past weekend for the first time to take Moira to the Upper East Side to have lunch with my friend Robin. I even handled a minor pubic meltdown pretty well, the "where to change a baby in a non-baby friendly bathroom" dilemma (answer: floor, and don't ever leave home without a changing mat!) and was reminded just how much NYC traffic sucks.
Moira in her Jets bow!
Did I mention we were having fun with bows?!?
Moira is much more alert, in that she isn't just only sleeping, crying and feeding so much anymore. She's also taking a bottle pretty well, and even better now that we got a bottle warmer, doesn't seem to have any nipple confusion there. She's not a fan of the water, especially her first in the bathtub bath. I'm hoping once she gets older she'll enjoy it a little more, and considering Bill and I are already looking into baby swim lessons, she'd better get used to it. I'm also doing pretty good with the pumping and am starting to build a good freezer stash, though wondering how to fit it all in our freezer. We've also received tons of adorable outfits from all kinds of friends and family too so it's so much fun to dress her every day.

Sad lion!
Last week we also had a fun revisit to the daycare decision days in that we found out the director at Moira's future daycare had left and she was a big reason we decided on it in the first place. After some major scrambling, I also decided to check out the daycare by the same company that's right down the street from us too, even though I was put off by it back in April thanks to a confusing telephone conversation. Well the new director at her current daycare was great and assured us that we'd very likely have a spot in January, though the cost of tuition had risen. And that afternoon we toured the closer location and loved that one too! It's also a bilingual school, in that everything taught in English that morning is taught again in Mandarin (the apparent language of the future) in the afternoon. It's also only a mile from our apartment and significantly cheaper. So now we're wait-listed there as well. Either one is still a great choice for our little girl though.
Our creative seating arrangements
Upcoming:

  • Bill's parent come up in 2 weeks 
  • 2 weeks is also my 6 week Dr. check-up and hopefully getting the ok to exercise! I've already got Mommy and Me yoga and core classes all planned out
  • Hopefully one of these days I'll make an HRP Mama get together...

No comments :

Post a Comment