Friday, July 26, 2013

The Dr. Is Just There To Catch The Baby, Right?

In my case, I'm hoping that's a big YES. But more on that in a moment. I had my 36 week appointment today, with another Doctor in the practice, Dr. Betty, who I very much liked. I was negative with all the 3rd trimester bad-things tests I had last week, with the exception of anemia. I am officially anemic now and going on iron pills. My fluid levels are still great though, heartbeat is strong and baby is head down. Mango had actually been kicking up a storm since 6am, but decided to be unusually quiet during the ultrasound when Dr Betty was checking for movement. It was funny because I kept assuring her that not even 5 minutes before the baby was all over the place, but she wanted to verify on the ultrasound, and I appreciate her diligence.

Afterwards, I told her that I was set on delivering at NY Downtown (Presbyterian) and that it was still in-network, whereas Beth Israel was out-of-network. She explained that with NY Downtown being bought up, the practice had to re-apply to be able to deliver there and that the whole process was taking much longer than they expected. Right now my Dr, Dr. Kecia, as well as the majority of the other Drs in the practice including Dr. Betty, hadn't been approved yet. However, the amnio-pushing Dr from a few months ago was approved, as was the lemming-patient Dr from last week. Joy!

Dr. Betty said each week it was changing, and hopefully Dr. Kecia would be approved by go-time... but that I should be prepared to have the other 2 guys deliver. Right after the appointment I sent Bill a text saying how glad I was that we decided to get a doula and it does make me feel better knowing that I'll have that extra support, along with Bill. My friend Brenda also assured me that besides being there to catch, her Dr was only with her minimally too. So we will see. I see Dr. Kecia next week and after that figure it might be a good idea to see the approved Drs again... just to be prepared.
Random "chillin with my kitten" shot.
Soon these will be "chillin with my kitten and baby" shots
I was also given my hospital admittance paperwork and told to carry it with me at all times now until I get to the hospital. It's getting real now! Yesterday I also sorted out the breast pump situation. As of Jan 1, 2013 insurance is required to cover breast pumps according to the ACA.  Of course, my insurance has the lovely stipulation that you must have given birth already, and some other Mama's from HRP with the same insurance had already started experiencing issues with the 3 providers that our insurance gives being out of stock, not allowing them to order the better rated pumps, etc. Mama's who'd just been through the experience with that insurance chimed in and provided some other DMEs who were covered but who my insurance for whatever reason didn't promote. So yesterday I did that legwork, tracked down a company that had tons of glowing recommendations from my Mom's group and also lets you order in advance (they just ship when the baby's born, to work around that silly rule), double checked that they were covered by my insurance, and placed an order in advance for the breast pump I wanted. So *whew*... that's done too.
And... it's been a big day today because this afternoon my boss called me into a "new business" meeting that turned out to be a surprise baby shower from my team and co-workers. Balloons, a
coconut cake, lot's of wonderful presents, baby shower games (chugging from a sippy cup is actually pretty hard apparently), decorating onesies, and... lemons! Yes, my co-workers got me a bunch of
lemons to help me satisfy my crazy craving. It was all super sweet, and will make that very hard transition back to work after maternity leave a little easier knowing that I'm coming back to such wonderful and supportive team members. And more pictures to come soon.
The conference room, all set up before

One surprised Mama




No comments :

Post a Comment