Tuesday, July 16, 2013

35 Weeks!

Yesterday I sat through a presentation for the new Aljazeera America network at work. It was all very interesting but when someone asked the AE when the network was set to launch and he said "August 20. Less than 5 weeks away" I very nearly piped up and said, "no, actually it's 5 weeks and 1 day away." Yup, I'm counting down days here. It's so crazy and wonderful to realize that I'm going to be a Mom in almost a month! I think we're ready... or as ready as we can be, but we're both hoping that mango cooks for as long as possible.
35 weeks on 7/16/13
Speaking of the little one, mango should be over 18 inches now and is probably past the 5 1/4 lb mark. Basically all physical development is done now, kidneys should be fully developed and B's liver can process waste. The lungs are almost done too, but could use a couple weeks to mature completely. All that's left is to just keep putting on that adorable baby fat, but really I'm only 2 weeks away from being considered term. Should B decided to come early at that point the doctor wouldn't do anything to stop labor. 99% of the babies born at 35 weeks survive with only about 8% having complications.

Last night Bill and I had our Infant CPR and Safety class. Another HRP Mama, Kim and her husband, were there too so that made it fun. She's due a week before me and is delivering at the same hospital too. As far as the class went, the instructor was great and there was just so much information and helpful tips. She went over not only CPR, but when to do it, also how to handle choking, SIDS- and some ways to help avoid it (tummy time!), as well as the benefits of baby wearing over keeping the baby in the car seat outside of being in a car. I feel a little better about the safest way to travel around NYC (it's legal to bring a baby in a taxi in NYC without a car sear (!!!) but DON'T DO IT) and that most car seats (including ours) can be hooked in without the base. I think we both feel a little more confident that we could handle a tough situation... though obviously we want to avoid this at all costs.

Apartment renovations are also coming along. They finished laying the floor tile last week and we really love it. It flows very well with the color of the wood floors, seamless really but will also look so nice next to the dark wood cabinets. They should be installing the cabinets hopefully this week, and have been great about working around the clock to get it done. They worked not only last Saturday, but during 4th of July holiday too, so pretty impressive.
A view from the living room
Another view from the bedroom hallway
And minus the small little detail of our bedroom a/c dying last Saturday, it really hasn't been that bad for Bill and I. We're still in good spirits and for me at least, it feels a lot like camping... picnicking on the bed, wearing flip flops to the bathroom, that fun, grungy feeling you get towards the end of a camping trip. The family member that seems to be cracking up the most with cabin fever though is the Hux. We let him out whenever the workers aren't around but I think he's absolutely ready for this to be over. He will also most definitely be getting shaved and groomed after this is done (for the first time ever!) because his fur just feels filthy. It'll also be nice to have a short haired kitty around when they baby first comes home too.
The diva... Mr. Huxley
Right now NYC is also going through a major heat wave. It's 90+ all week and I'm staying indoors as much as possible. I'm also carrying water with me constantly and trying to stay as hydrated as I can. It's the one thing my Dr. keeps reminding me of. Saturday Bill and I had brunch with my Mama friend Kim (different than above) at Egg in Williamsburg and while we found a great new super yummy brunch spot, just walking a few blocks was more than enough to keep us inside for the rest of the weekend.
Brunch attire when it's 90 degrees out.
Wish I could wear shorts to work too
Upcoming:

  • Packing for the babymoon and trying to keep the mess in our apartment under control
  • Hopefully cabinets will be installed this week too
  • Thursday I have another Dr's appointment. Nothing major but Bill said he'd try to make it if work allowed. I love having him there, and I know he loves going, but for him to trek down to Chinatown in the middle of the day for a 20 minute appointment is just silly sometimes.
  • Friday we leave for Cape Cod! It'll be mid 80s and I'm hoping for no rain. I CANNOT wait!

2 comments :

  1. The tile looks great, love the color.
    How short are you going to shave Huxley? That will really give him a new look. I really didn't know you could shave a cat.
    You really look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's all coming together.
    They do lion cuts for cats, so he'll look ridiculous but at least have the hair and shedding under control. Also feel cleaner.
    Thanks I guess I have good genes, wonder who I got them from;)

    ReplyDelete