Monday, September 8, 2014

September Mango!

This busy season has begun in fits and starts. Last week was crazed, but now it's quiet. Who knows what it'll be in an hour or 2 but I'll take advantage of the time spent twiddling my thumbs now.
We're not doing so well with the 1 nap a day schedule. Boo to that. But she's now sleeping 12 hours a night!
Well, renovations have officially begun. The contractor is fixing our bedroom wall today (there was some water damage) and starting on the bathroom tomorrow. Bill and his cousin Colleen (Col- we owe you dinner, big time!) took an epic journey to the Long Island City Home Depot on Saturday and TWO hours later returned home with most of our goods (and it was all pre-ordered too... and should've been ready to go but gotta love Home Depot. They're the main reason why I want to buy a house we don't have to do ANY renovations on. But I digress). We're heading back to the Home Depot near our work today to pick up the remaining materials (because the shower head and medicine cabinet we wanted to order are "illegal" in NYC. Whatever that means. Again, arggg Home Depot).
On Saturday when it was too hot to go outside during the day I made ahead some veggie fritters from this Wednesday Chef recipe. I froze most back for future Mango lunches. So easy, and yummy (Bill and I taste tested).
Besides the okra (wha?!? That's my FAVORITE vegetable!) Mo loved them. The okra though, I couldn't sneak that past her at all!
We should be in a few good place with everything by this weekend, so I'm excited! Once everything's done Bill will discuss with his realtor friends and we'll think about getting it on the market and starting to look out in the 'burbs. We've been seeing tons of great stuff all within our price range and even have a couple top favorites, so I think we're in a great place. It's just crazy to think that this time next year we could very well be settled into our new home.

Yup, they're clones for sure. Enjoying some whole wheat ginger peach scones.
And speaking of settling in- Moira had a good 1st week at her new school. When I've handed her off to Ms. Wong in the morning there's usually some brief tears but by the time I'm putting my shoes back on she's calm and looking to the other babies to play. They said she's transitioned pretty well too. It's been so nice also not having to think about packing food or bringing clean bottles from home every day (they have her bottles and cups steamed every night in house). It's also such a good commute.

Moira is now toddling everywhere but if she needs to get somewhere fast she still crawls. It's so cute to see her walking around though. When it's not miserably hot we try to get out to the playground every day. Mo can not only navigate the younger play set basically all by herself now but loves watching other kids. She's so social and is so curious about other kids. It's great to see that's she's so friendly but also kind of fills me with trepidation for when she's older and has to deal with other girls. I'm not looking forward to dealing with heartaches that come with girl friendships. But we'll get there when we get there.
Mo's brunch buddy, Amena! We did DBGB again for brunch on Sunday while Bill was at the game. So. Many. Strollers. Def my new absolute fav baby restaurant, hands down.
She's a seasoned Manhattanite bruncher. 
We also had a great week of veggie eating! I remade the very popular corn and avocado salad from Mo's birthday, made some pebre, and even made an eggplant bake that Bill approved of (like a grit casserole, but with a layer of polenta topped with roasted eggplant and zucchini, then marinara sauce and finally topped with tons of cheese and broiled until it's brown and bubbly). Tonight we're back on meat but I'm doing my favorite spicy cashew chicken recipe from my old food blog- (I guess I've never mentioned I used to have a food blog. Back when I was single and had a LOT more time on my hands. But so great to reference every once in a while)- that Bill loves.

Upcoming:

  • Spin tomorrow, Tom Petty on Wednesday, my North Fork winery tour with one of my LA stations on Friday and Jersey shore concert on Saturday. Oh, and bathroom renovations. 
  • Speaking of, our contractor is ON IT. He's still expecting to be done by the end of the week. Color me impressed!
  • I have nothing major planned for my birthday. It's a Monday so maybe just grab something yummy, like some easy crab legs, to eat at home. I have a wine week lunch that day (any questions- direct them to Bill, the wine week lunch master), so that'll be my "celebration".
  • Bill is taking me (and Mo) out for a birthday celebration dinner that next weekend. I've requested Ethopian because what's more baby friendly when everyone is eating with their hands?! Plus it's yummy and fun.
  • Amaya and Jaz's 1st birthday parties are coming up.
  • And then we go to Texas! One week after my busy season (medicare open enrollment) officially starts. I'll need to get away!

No comments :

Post a Comment