Thursday, April 17, 2014

Parenthood... the best job I've ever had!

My working Mom friend and I had a conversation last week about being 3/4 time workers. Just a little working mom daydreaming, not anything serious. We're both upwardly mobile Mama's who are realistic about what would happen to our jobs if we went to part-time, or cut-out of the rat race for a year or 2. But why couldn't we at least work from home 3/4 of the time? Last week Moira had a diaper rash that was mistaken for coxsackie so I worked from home that day and since it also happened to be gorgeous spring weather, we had a little day in the East River park after the doctors appointment. And thanks to iPads, iPhones and all that like technology, I was able to work from the park too while spending quality time with my favorite girl.

Our new fancy waterproof park blanket!

I knew early on in mommy-hood that I couldn't be a stay at home mom. It's not me. But I have hoped to find a better balance between working and parenthood. It's something my company does make a lot of allowances for, for which I'm grateful, but I still feel we're way behind in comparison to other US companies and don't even get me started when comparing the US to other highly-developed countries in terms of work-life balance.

Since returning back to work I've thrown myself head-first into not only doing my job, but getting ahead too. I know, I'm crazy. But I'm good at what I do and I deserve to be recognized for that, and not just because I'm one of the very few people in my department doing this crazy tight-wire balancing act. I also want to show Moira how upwardly mobile her Mama is, and not just before she was born. I want to show her that I can do this and she can too, if she wants to. That's why I'm checking emails on the bus, taking conference calls on our commute home, available at off hours and days off. I'm finding too that those things are only a small sacrifice to be home with my daughter an hour earlier than I normally would, to spend the day with her while working from home. And one of these days maybe this will become a more permanent 3/4 situation. Who knows.






Here's also a great response to the "worlds toughest job" viral video that I think hits the nail on the head. Also, another tough job? Being a Dad! Bill is the best partner I could have on this crazy parenthood ride, and I try to appreciate everything he does on a daily basis. It's all about teamwork and he is the best team member I could possibly have. He might be out in LA right now rocking client meetings but I can't imagine how tough that is to not be able to come home and see this happy Mango every night while on these business trips.

1 comment :

  1. Like the example both of you are giving her along with lots of love.

    ReplyDelete