Friday, October 25, 2013

Moira: Week 8!

Well. This has been an amazing week! There's so much to tell, so many exciting new developments. We've also been busy busy... doing something every day. There have been new friends, great workouts, playdates and lots of smiles. So I'll start at the beginning.

I think I forgot to mention also but I had brunch with my friend Preethi and Amena and Preethi's friend Erica on Sunday while Bill was at the Jets game. It was fun to get out and have them all meet Moira. And on Monday night while Bill was at the Giants game 2 other coworkers, Padma and Leah came over too. Padma's about to move to Santa Barbara with her fiance so she'll be gone by the time I come back to work. It's a little strange how many changes have happened while I was away but also good to know that I'll be needed (and busy) at work again with so many people leaving. Padma also brought over some apples she'd picked at an orchard so I have had fun this week making apple turnovers, pork chops with sauteed apples and tomorrow I'll throw together some healthy apple muffins.
And speaking of healthy, Monday was the core class in Tribeca. The class itself was great, I'm still feeling it 4 days later, which is just what I like, and need, to get my tummy back in shape. The problem was the kids. Besides Moira and another just crawling baby, there were 2 toddlers. One could care less about Moira, but the other was after her. The mom wasn't helpful at all (something I'd already heard was a problem from another HRP mom who'd taken the class), which, ok I get that you want to get a workout and don't want to run around after your kid. But it's a bit ridiculous when I have to play keep away with Moira, her bottle, her burp cloth, etc. There was a helper who realized the situation shortly after the toddler bopped Moira on the head with her Sophie (and my awesome little girl didn't cry at all but just gave her the best stink eye I've ever seen!) and did a great job helping out, but she definitely had her hands full. But I loved the class. So I got on the HRP board after and recruited some other moms with little ones to take the class, figuring we could band together, maybe circle around the babies or something. So far I've got 2-3 moms interested... and I've signed up for 2 more classes, so we'll see.
Post baby body... so far
And Tuesday I met up for coffee and a walk with the new Moms group right down the street. Right away I met some super sweet ladies and 2 live in our complex! We grabbed some coffee and donuts at Donut Plant and then there was a song and storytelling group at the library right down the street, so we all strolled over for that. I was one of the few with my stroller, most moms I was happy to see had their babies in carriers. I exchanged numbers with the 2 girls in my complex and we set up a playdate for Thursday. I kept second guessing joining another Moms group but turns out it's been more than worth it as these ladies and babies are all much closer and do tons of stuff.
Moira's favorite past time at home, watching the Food Network with Mama
On Wednesday we went to a Karma Kids yoga class which was a bit smaller that the Tuesday class we went to last week. There was a little more focus on yoga with the instructor helping out with fussy babes, so moms could get some stretching in, then we did a little yoga for babies, some baby massage and tummy time. 2 separate moms exclaimed over how well Moira did tummy time for her age and then at the end of class I was pulled up by the instructor to show how my baby carrier was more ergonomic than the Baby Bjorn, which apparently is not good for little baby girl's hips. She highly suggested the other moms switch to the Ergo or the Beco, like mine. It was kind of cool to get some good feedback that I'd chosen that carrier wisely, especially after the amount of research I did. And right before I left I chatted with the mom next to me who turned out to be another HRP mama, had a little boy exactly Moira's age, and was interested in taking the Monday core class! So a highly successful day.
Moira working on one of her baby yoga moves... rolling
Yesterday was the playdate with the Mom's from the complex. They're both very sweet, very accomplished ladies, a therapist for eating disorders and a social worker. Leslie has a 6 1/2 month old daughter and Tatyana has a 7 month old son. A little ahead of Moira but they're both sweet babies and a good influence for her (like smiling!). It was also so nice to hang with other Moms in the area and get recommendations on the gym, the playroom, where to shop, how to deal with work and so on. Leslie has the same apartment layout that we do, with a renovated kitchen as well, so it was neat to see how they'd decorated. They were both so open and friendly and again I go back to how amazingly supportive so many women and mother's I've met have been. It's really incredible.






And today we went to another Mommy Baby yoga class, but right down the street at Yoga High. It was a combination of some stretching, learning some new ab exercises I can do while holding or nursing Moira, and just chatting about some concerns of motherhood. The instructor, Liz, was great and not only a yoga teacher but a certified lactation consultant. We chatted about breastfeeding, sleeping, schedules and the other 2 moms there had older kids so they brought up dealing with the new baby, temper tantrums and other toddler and older issues. While not exactly where we are now, it was great to hear some advice to store away for the future. Afterwards I walked out with one of the Moms and turns out she's also part of Bowery Babes and very sweet.
Starting to love all our warm blankets
I love being so active but I've also started to realize my limitations. There was another meet-up after yoga today but down in Tribeca and I just wasn't feeling it, so I let go of the guilt of not going, grabbed a smoked salmon bagel from Russ & Daughters, and came home instead. It's also harder with the days getting colder and me still trying to figure out how to keep Moira as safe and warm as possible. I just purchased this neat carrier cover designed by a NYC Mama that attached to my coat, is waterproof and has a hood. Perfect for daily commuting and errands.
I'm also hoping that Moira is getting something out of these activities too. I know she's too young to remember them later but hopefully this time with me, going on these exciting adventures, seeing other babies at all different levels, being exposed to stories and songs outside the home and watching me socialize and take care of my body will all have a good influence at some level on her.
I love this beautiful girls' sense of wonder with everything
As far as sleeping is going, we're still doing good and seeing more of a schedule come together. She has been going down around 10:30, getting up between 4 and 5 for a very quick feed (less than 10 minutes), then sleeping until 7-7:30. She'll take a quick 30 minute nap afterwards then up until about 10 when she goes down for a 45-1 hour nap. In the afternoon usually when we're returning from our daily activity she'll nap longer for 1 1/2-2 hours. In the evenings we give her a bottle with some gripe water, I let her nurse which I think is more for comfort than anything, then once she starts to show sleepy signs we put her down for the night. So far so good, with a few exceptions, but hopefully this will stick.
Upcoming:

  • A datenight on Saturday with Bill at the Redhead, while Bill's cousin Colleen watches Moira.
  • On Monday Bill's home with Moira while I go to a marketing research discussion.
  • Tuesday's the coffee meet-up with the Bowery Moms, Wednesday is yoga, Thursday is open and Friday is yoga again. 
  • Next Friday afternoon is Moira's 2 month checkup... and shots (sadface).
And, ending with the Goodnight video I took for Bill when he was at the Giants game. Moira was "talking" right before bedtime and I thought it was the cutest thing. She's been "talking" and cooing so much more recently too

No comments :

Post a Comment