Sunday, November 3, 2013

Moira: Week 9!

This past week was all about ringing in Halloween. I love this holiday as it is the first of autumn, the first of the holiday season, and what's more fun then getting dressed up and getting candy. Well now I have a little one to dress up! Even though Moira won't remember it, there will be pictures and our own memories we can regale her with.
My loves watching a disappointing Jets loss :(
Getting ready for a datenight  with Moira working the fashion pout 

Off to our datenight at the Redhead. A fun and delicious evening.
Moira was a pumpkin and I decided to go the easy route and be a black cat to go along with her. Despite some earlier rain we persevered and  went trick or treating in the graveyard of Trinity Church downtown. Right up my nerdy, history loving alley, they had historical NYC figures passing out candy and giving a mini history lesson along the way.


Melissa and I ready to take our little ones out 
A sleeping mango pumpkin


The beautiful church grounds

Family Halloween shot
Afterwards I made a fondue pumpkin
The rest of the week consisted of play dates, mamas outings, story/song time at the library, mommy baby yoga, baking, pumpkin hunting, smiles, sleeping and a doctors visit on Friday. Moira is 11 lbs, 4 oz, 23 inches long and survived her shots like a champ. Of course Bill was great too, holding my hand while I held Moiras', getting her dressed as quickly as possible after and then whisking her away from the offending office and calming her outside while I finished up. 
Play chair date with Jaz
Smiles!
Pineapple pumpkin muffins



After her shots. She slept all Friday night and all through the day Saturday.
Needless to say, last night was a little rough.
And now on to the project of the week. For those of you who know me extremely well know that when I get fixated on something I don't let it go until it's done (ahem, my 2 month old daughter's 1st birthday party is already planned). The latest: Moira's playroom. I'm sure you're thinking... this poor baby doesn't even have her own room, where in the world are you going to rustle up the space for a playroom. But if that's your first thought, well then you underestimate the mind of a seasoned apartment dweller my friend.
Somewhere I can keep an eye on her while doing some baking-
like these delicious apple muffins
As it so happens we have this lovely dead space between the couch and the peninsula with windows that overlook the East River, complete with a little window seating nook that the previous tenant had custom built. I love the space but couldn't think of anything very useful to do with it except hide away the kitty litter over there. As it also happens, when we had our older baby play date last week I realized how amazing foam tiles were, especially for active and crawling babies on hardwood floors. And yesterday morning I also woke to this amazing article from apartment therapy on the beauty of forward facing children's book displays. It all came together after that.

This little goofball needs an awesome play area
While it's a small and oddly shaped area, it is New York, and I feel like we can be extra creative with the space. I ordered some white, brown and lime green foam tiles from a safe and highly recommended company, ordered some white floating shelves with a raised ledge for Moira's growing library and a hideaway kitty litter container so we can relocate that to the hallway. I love the idea of a play area, especially where we can have Moira play away from the TV but also be able to keep an eye on her from both the kitchen and the living room without feeling completely disconnected from her. I'm picturing baby rolls and tumbles on the soft mats while she learns to crawl and walk, and plenty of quiet afternoons spent reading to her on the nook from Moira level book shelves where she can pick out the books herself. And I mostly love that in our one bedroom apartment, where she doesn't even have a bedroom to herself, she will have a space that is all hers. I'm so excited for everything to come and have it all put together, it'll certainly be an early Christmas present for me when it's all completed.
Upcoming:

  • Getting back to our awesome sleep schedule that shots interrupted.
  • Cheering on cousin Colleen while she runs the marathon (from our apartment though because someones' naps are off)
  • More core, yoga, meet-ups, etc this week and possibly an office visit with Moira before we head off to DC to visit Aunt Teresa and (very) soon-to-be Uncle Chris!!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment