
Starting last week, at week 4, I started to think how much I loved that particular stage. Week 4 I felt like I was finally getting some decent sleep, was much more accepting of napping when Moira napped, and was much more comfortable getting out. Not to say that I haven't loved every second so far, I honestly have, but that was when I finally felt like I had a handle on what I was doing, and able to go on a few adventures as well. But week 5 has been even better. I'm antsy every day to get out and not feeling restricted by having a baby nearly at all. We made it all the way to Tompkins Square park (about 25 blocks away) twice this past week, took our first subway ride to Chelsea to buy an umbrella stroller, and took the bus over to Tribeca and back for our Mama's lunch yesterday and have made numerous trips to the grocery store. There was just 1 bus meltdown (just blocks away from our apartment) and also my fault for not feeding her in the park when I had the chance, and she'll get fussy now and again but it's nothing I can't handle and still manage to mostly keep my cool (or just not make eye contact at all).
 |
| Heading out to the Mama's luncheon in our Sakura Bloom carrier |
.JPG) |
| Moira's new ride in action! At Tompkins Square Park |
.JPG) |
| On the bus to the East Village |
.JPG) |
| At the Delancy subway stop, Moira's first ride! |
Yesterday was our Mama's lunch and there was a good showing of Mom's and babies, around 16 total. Moira was one of the youngest, most were between 8-11 weeks so it was nice to hear from other Moms about when their babies started sleeping through the night, established a schedule or just started smiling. I sat next to a child psychologist Mom who was impressed that Moira was self soothing already with her hands (and here we just thought she was starting a bad thumb sucking habit), learned a good place to take Mommy/Baby yoga that had classes on the weekend (and is by far the cheapest of the options thus far) and learned that I was one of the only Mom's who had taken her baby on the subway so far! Other then the somewhat annoying bus ride with the stroller, diaper bag and Moira in a carrier it was a success and looks like something we can do on a weekly basis. The restaurant was also great, providing a private room where all the strollers fit, with a bathroom in the room, but also tables set up for changing. This morning I also google mapped it and it's 2 miles away, so if we're feeling especially ambitious, and feel like taking a 4 mile walk in total, we might just do that one week.
.JPG)
.JPG)
Moira is also growing more and more alert each day and this week finally seemed to find an interest in her play mat, grabbing at the animals and feeling her way around. She had 3 nights of great sleep, from 11 or 12 to 4 or 5, but then backslid to to a 2 or 3 am feeding the past few nights. I'm trying to take better daily notes about when she sleeps during the day, when she feeds and for how long. Lately we've been able to get the nighttime feedings down to 30 minutes though so even when there is the 2nd night feeding it's not an endless ordeal. She's definitely gaining weight and when I weighed myself with her yesterday she was exactly 10 pounds, though wearing clothes and a diaper.
 |
| Evidence we're getting better at sleeping. Also, growing. |
I also found an
amazing article on how most NYC parents end up doing Attachment Parenting by default of living in the city. Seriously it was almost like I wrote the article myself for some of the examples the writer listed. Back when I was looking over different parenting styles I vowed that we wouldn't rigidly adhere to a particular one, but instead play it by ear for what worked best for us and our child. But Attachment Parenting (and for as bad as the name sounds, it is all about creating an independent and creative child, not a needy or clingy one) really does make the most sense for us so I'll include some excerpts from the article below:
As I thought about it, I realized that the way I was raising Oliver was leaning heavily into the Attachment Parenting International ring. But then again, it was only because our lifestyle really called for it. And it wasn’t just me. It was the mom I walked by nursing her toddler on the park bench and the dad baby-wearing on the subway. Suddenly I started thinking about the ways NYC might be turning moms and dads into attachment parents without them even knowing it.
Here are a few of the API principles and ways NYC makes you practice. So before you judge, remember: You might just be Attachment Parenting. Gasp.
Respond with Sensitivity“Babies cannot be expected to self-soothe, they need calm, loving, empathetic parents to help them learn to regulate their emotions.”
Living in NYC means you’re probably the type of person who is out and about a lot. Therefore, even though internally you may want to scream, “Not now child!” the external you is probably sitting at a crowded brunch — with babyless friends — saying, “I’ll have an Americano,” all cool, calm and collected while you gracefully undo your nursing bra to get that baby fed as fast as possible. What’s that saying? “Make believe long enough and it becomes real”? That applies to patience too.
Feeding with Love and respect“Breastfeeding is the optimal way to satisfy an infant’s nutritional and emotional needs.”
Plain and simple: living in NYC is expensive. While we all know a mom can feed their baby with lovewith a formula-filled bottle as well, for some, overcoming those breastfeeding hurdles might economically be the best reason to stick to breastfeeding. Since it’s free and all.
Use Nurturing Touch“Skin-to-skin contact is especially effective, such as during breastfeeding, bathing, or massage. Carrying or babywearing also meets this need while on the go.”I can’t be the only one who will avoid a NYC subway elevator at all costs. Unless I am with my fiancĂ©, I will always opt to babywear instead of taking the stroller. It makes me nervous to carry a stroller up and down the stairs, and you can’t always assume there will be a stranger there to help you (except usually they won’t say no, even if they’re annoyed). When you babywear, you don’t have to worry about narrow doorways or getting stuck in sidewalk cracks. It just so happens your baby is benefiting from the closeness as well.
Ensure Safe Sleep, physically and Emotionally“Safe co-sleeping has benefits to both babies and parents.”Aaah, the joys of co-sleeping. The gentlemen at How to Be a Dad sum it up pretty perfectly. But as you know, we live in close quarters as New Yorkers. Many people I know — including myself — live with their babies in one-bedroom apartments for at least the first year. And while we don’t consider ourselves co-sleepers, for one reason or another, I wake up with my toddler next to me every morning. Maybe it’s neighbor etiquette — there is only so far you can take sleep-training when you have people living above and below you… and sometimes to the left and right of you. “Just bring ‘im into bed” will become a regular part of your late-night dialogue if you don’t have a natural born sleeper.
Strive for Balance in Personal in Family Life“It is easier to be emotionally responsive when you feel in balance.”While it may seem like city life is bending your arm to become an attachment parent, API’s most compelling connection might be the fact that NYC is here to serve you. Taking care of yourself should be a priority, and sometimes all it takes is a solo walk to get recharged. There is so much to see and so many interesting people to gawk at. Leave the baby with someone you trust whether it’s solo or with your partner and go let off some steam, have a good meal (and cocktail), and get inspired. NY is your playground too.
In other news, we're hanging prints around the apartment today, and then, minus some few minor things our contractor still needs to do, we're DONE!!!
 |
| TGIF. Hanging with Daddy |
 |
| After a successful Mama's lunch |
.JPG) |
| Guess what these are: decorations for Moira's 1st birthday! |
.JPG) |
| High baby fashion model! |
Upcoming:
- Moira is meeting her Grandpa McKinney tomorrow as well as a ton of her extended family on Bill's side. Grandma and Grandpa McKinney will also be in town until Wednesday spending time with Miss Moira!
- I have my Doctors appointment on Monday, visiting my (brand new Mama!) friend Melissa on Tuesday and getting a much needed pedicure.
- And Tuesday night Bill and I have our 2nd date night at Jewel Bako at the sushi bar for some omakase and sake!
- Aunt Teresa comes to town next weekend, and hopefully the weather will be slightly more autumn-esque for our NYC ramen tradition.
And BREAKING NEWS: Moira just smiled, a nice lovely smile, when both Bill and I were watching!!! And below, my favorite pictures from her 1 month photoshoot, including an awesome Hux photobomb!
No comments :
Post a Comment