Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Anatomy Scan & 21 Weeks!

Let's start with the fun stuff. March 28th was my "20 week" anatomy scan, though you can have them done anywhere between 18 and 22 weeks. I was 19 weeks and 2 days. And besides the wait (1.5 hrs! On a work day!) and Bill showing up and then having to leave before I was called in, it was just great! Any chance to see B but especially going over all the parts in depth was exciting. The tech was also really nice in explaining things (some do, some don't).

We saw the brain, heart (!), spine, kidneys, lungs, diaphragm, legs, arms, little baby hands and feet. All 10 fingers and toes were accounted for and B even hammed it up a little by throwing us a peace sign as well as covering his/her face with the other hand. When it came time to check out the gender the tech made me close my eyes, I turned my face away too just for extra precaution against myself. B wanted to keep a surprise though too, because it took FOREVER to get him/her to open up the legs (had the ankles crossed again). This had Bill convinced it was a girl when I told him later, because only a lady would be modest like that.
This one is my favorite. Looks like B is waving.



Taken on 3/28/13- 19 weeks and 2 days
I'm just so curious about this child. Will B have my dimple? Bill's light hair and gorgeous eyes? Will B be tall or short, dark or light? Is there a perfect mix of Bill and I that this baby will represent? And don't even get me started wondering about personalities. B is still measuring right to the due date, so not too big, but I also haven't gained any weight in the past 3 weeks, though I've definitely expanded. And B's heartbeat was 155 bpm.

And because I'm way behind in my posting, I had another Dr appointment yesterday. We saw an active little B again, listened to the heartbeat, got some moderately creepy pictures (it's the eye socket thing. Just... creepy- though Bill thinks B looks just like Strong Bad!), and I was diagnosed with PUPPs, a really fun skin disorder where women breakout in itchy hives across their belly, breasts, arms and legs. I first noticed it Easter weekend and figured it was just my sensitive skin, but confirmed yesterday by the Dr that it's definitely PUPPs and will last until the end of the pregnancy. Besides being itchy, it isn't harmful at all to the Mom or baby and is actually an indicator that B might be a little boy (70% of sufferers end up carrying males). It's actually thought to be an allergic reaction to male fetal DNA, or as Bill delicately put it, I'm allergic to balls.
Strong Bad
Also Strong Bad?
B's got his/her hand above the head in this one
4/8/13- 20 weeks and 6 days
Next up the glucose test to check for gestational diabetes. I've heard this one is an absolute blast. And this weekend will be our trip to SA!!! One of my favorite restaurants has already promised me a pregnant lady tasting menu, so hopefully this is just the first indicator of the fun we'll have. I also caved and finally got some totally cute maternity clothes so more bump pics soon.

2 comments :

  1. Guess I am going to have to look up "strong Bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha- I can't believe you don't remember it from our HS days.

    ReplyDelete