Thursday, March 5, 2015

Snow Day!

Yes, today... March 5th... we have a snow day. Work and school were both open but sometimes it's really not worth the risk, especially when a little Mango can stay safe and warm at home. So Mo and I are having ourselves a snow day. We made some quinoa carrot muffins with cranberries this morning, went for a little walk around the building interior, had a conference call for my mediaBrandsMatter March meeting (on mute though, as Mo was quite chatty) and now I'm sitting here, answering emails and relaxing while she naps.
My rule: if you can't see Brooklyn, it's a snow day
Last weekend was quite eventful, Mo had a blast at JJ's birthday party (and really outdid herself on taking advantage of the party atmosphere and gorging herself on sugar), then had a sleepover with Aunt Joanie while Bill and I went to see Gaslight Anthem. After some major sleeping in (11am!!!) we picked Mo up and had a family lunch at Donovan's, then a leisurely ride back home while the snow gradually grew worse (though our cab driver was absolutely great. He took his time and was very careful and I can't say how much I appreciate that with our Mango on board).

Feed me!
Probably the most sugar in one sitting that she's had in a month. Bad call on Mama and Daddy's part, but Mo enjoyed herself immensely.
These 2 munchkins a year ago. Crazy how time flies!
In house news, last Friday Bill and I had a conference call with our lawyer, he made some adjustments to the contracts, we wrote a couple big checks and now everything is with the sellers attorneys. And we wait. I find myself going back and forth between looking at other houses in case this falls through, to looking at furniture that would go perfectly with this house. All we can do is hope at this point I guess. I did happen to speak to one of my reps and found out she actually grew up in Danbury, and went to one of the schools we're considering for Mo, as well as her boys for a few years. So yay, we have a first degree source for info!
When it sucks to be small: at a standing room only concert. This isn't even what I could see, this is me reaching my arm up as far as I could go to take the picture :\
My little sous chef
In the midst of all this waiting and snowing, I've been trying to health up our meals at home. This means being sneakier with vegetables and other things Bill detests. So far, I've made a savory bread pudding with tons of veggies, cashew chicken (and this marinade/sauce) with tons of veggies, creamed onions (that I added okra to) with polenta, and I'm in love with charring cauliflower. I threw some charred cauliflower into some pasta and also added it to some poblano crema enchiladas I made. And then the quinoa carrot muffins this morning. We won't ever be completely meat free (and I have a pork roast and chorizo sausages in the freezer to prove that) but I'm happy so long as we're all getting a good dose of vegetables in every meal and are keeping the fat to a minimum.

In Mango news, she's really expanding her vocabulary. She'll usually repeat a word that we say and her daily vocabulary is growing in leaps and bounds. She's also really big on pretending- we're usually part of her imagination (her "feeding" us foods, or playing dress up) and it's so cute to see. She also loves to hide, is really big on running all over the place, giggling is a big part of her day and so are tantrums (including a few fun public ones). It's definitely getting easier to communicate with her when she's scared but challenging when she doesn't understand why she can't have something (like when she ate all her "cookies" at music last week and didn't understand why Mama didn't bring more. It's hard to explain that she ate enough already and we still want her to eat dinner. And cue the meltdown). She's super smart though and understands a lot of commands, as well as several of her body parts (we love to play the "where's your nose/eyes, hair/ears" game on the bus), animals, people, etc. She's also become a lot more comfortable in social situations, playing with other kids and interacting. Last music she was practically the show off kid, dancing, playing and was 2nd in line when the music teacher did a fun monkey swinging activity. Go Mo!

Tomorrow Mo's school is closed for a teacher work day and we have her 18 month appointment, then a playdate at Kidville with Melissa and Jaz. And then hopefully the babies will sleep so we can do a leisurely late lunch somewhere nearby but who really knows at this age.

Upcoming:

  • 18 month appointment tomorrow at Tribeca Peds LES
  • Some errands and then a playdate at Kidville with Melissa and Jaz!
  • An absolutely nothing planned (I think) weekend!
  • Maybe a makeup visit to Mission Chinese so I can finally get my Sichuan fix.
  • Wine week is next week- I have two scheduled, one including my boss and one with two of my clients, so I don't expect I'll be drinking much at all (waa waa).

No comments :

Post a Comment