Sunday, March 3, 2013

Blue or Pink

I'm writing this not exactly knowing where I'm going with my thoughts. Right now is around the time that a lot of the Mama's from my August 2013 forums are finding out the gender, or getting very excited to do so in the next couple weeks and it's got me to thinking. I'm reading posts that convey a lot of happiness with their discoveries, some surprises, some justification of "gut feelings" and some with a little disappointment. All the various reactions are interesting to see knowing that I still have  several months to go before we find out.

To be completely, 100% honest here I've thought it was a boy. It's not that I want one over the other, but when I picture the baby in my head it's almost always a boy. Of course a boy would be amazing, a wonderful new experience but this is coming from the girl who only had sisters. I really have no idea what a boy entails except what I see from friends with little boys and stereotypes.

At first I thought maybe I was so strongly feeling a boy because I really want Bill to bond with the baby, although that's no longer a concern in the least. But when I think of a boy I am imagining family baseball outings, my guys watching football together and eventually heading off to Jets games together and B rooting alongside his Dad for all his favorite teams (except I do want a Spurs fan). Little league, train sets, racing cars. He'd be Liam James, named after his Father and paternal Grandfather (Liam as a variation of William and their middle name is James).

But I would also love a little girl! Dress-up, tea parties, baking, "mother-may-I" and that gentle sweetness that just comes naturally with having a little girl. All the wonderful things I know and remember from my relationship with my Mom. I would LOVE to go to American Girl to design a doll with her, take her to one of the fancy places for afternoon tea on a special occasion and of course we could still do all the sports outings too! And even if I'm not a bows and frilly things person, there are still so many cute options for girl clothes. She'd be Moira Christine, named after her Great Grandmother and youngest Aunt- Moira is a variation of Maria. And Christine after both of her other Aunts).

I was scared that in not knowing, I'd be set on one over the other and then disappointed... but that's just not going to happen. We're already so attached to our little mango (Bill's nickname) and I know we'll both be absolutely over the moon in love when B arrives, just seeing him or her for the first time will probably be one of the best experiences of my life. And I'm just so excited for either, just healthy and happy.
A quick bump pic taken on 3/1-
15 weeks and 3 days

4 comments :