Well, last week's event was amazing. For a job spent mainly putting commercial spots on TV to get consumers to spend their money, it's so great when those millions of dollars in marketing efforts can also be accrued for a great cause. And the kids at the
school (KIPP- we were at the Bronx charter high school, but there are numerous elementary and middle schools are over the city) where we gifted the healthy meals were amazing! So smart, driven, and poised but yet so enthusiastic about their future and how they can make the world a better, nicer place. And their teachers and counselors seemed so supportive, they understand it's not just about education but about each individual character they're helping to shape too. KIPP even has counselors for the teachers so they can be better equipped to assist their students and counselors for the parents (these are all kids from under-privileged homes) to walk them through how help their kids succeed at every step (from elementary to college- they stay in contact with the students even while they're in college to help with their transition!). The foundations' motto is "Work hard. Be nice.", and I'm definitely borrowing that. My CEO, who also attended, and I spoke the next day and I told her that being there with those great kids and teachers made me feel good about the future.
 |
| With my strategy counterpart, my two clients and two of the students |
Thursday night I had a rare Mama's night out including drinks at Saleya and dinner at the Harrison which was fun and Friday I worked from home in the afternoon and took Mo to Friday music at Judith (the mom) and Cora's apartment. I'm finding that what I first though of as shyness may just be an independent streak in Mo. She had much more fun walking around, exploring and trying out all Cora's toys then sitting and listening to the music. And speaking of, we received Moira's report card from Ms. Lauren last week too. She is progressing with flying colors, hitting all the milestones she should be at her age and then some with no red flags. Bill and I both know that she's amazing but it's nice to get some outside feedback too. OH, and Mo is also the star of her class for November! Not sure what that means exactly, but she has her picture up at the front of the school and it seems fairly special. So far November is a great month for Miss Mo!
 |
| Melissa giving me some model pointers for our selfie, haha |
 |
| Mama's night out! |
We're also now all set for winter. Mo has a brand new fluffy coat which she loves and a new toddler sized stroller bunting. We got to put both in action this weekend when we went for delicious soup dumplings at Joe's and Mo was at her best as a true NYC bebe when we ended up at a table full of tourists and they were all SO IMPRESSED how good she was eating, and off my chopsticks too. They even said it must be so tough to be a parent in the city and I countered that, no, actually it's just fine if you're well prepared (and speaking of, we also took her
highchair which is a lifesaver when restaurants don't have them, a realistic possibility in NYC) and the city can be surprisingly kid-friendly if you do a little research.
 |
| It's called the "warmest puffer"... not looking forward to actually seeing that in action (boo winter) but good to know we're prepared. |
In other Mango news she's starting to become a bit of a (dreaded) picky eater. She doesn't love veggies or most fruits unless they're in pureed/pouch form, but she LOVES her bananas. I bring home a banana after spin (just one of the many complimentary perks of my
spin studio) and we share it (and by share, I mean Mo eats 9/10s of it and I'll get a bite). But she does surprise me- she still loves salmon, was chowing down to my eggplant pasta last week and loves her carbs. When we're out at a restaurant she'll usually eat everything I give her just for the novelty and/or distraction of being in a new place. And during the week I don't stress it. She has a homemade breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner at daycare, and everyday it's a different and diverse menu chock full of good nutrients. She's also started eating with a spoon on her own but this is far from perfect at this point so I usually limit this to things that will actually stay on the spoon after its flung around a few times (mashed beans/peas/potatoes/cauliflower are great for that).
 |
| Mo's delicious salmon dinner (well, actually mine but we always share). |
 |
| Helping me make dinner! Crushing some toast for breadcrumbs! |
 |
| Waiting for Mama to stop taking pictures and bake some scones already- whole wheat cranberry, perfect for a chilly Sunday |
Annddd... in addition to spinning yesterday and a dinner tonight I have my agency's main charity (
Gilda's Club) black tie gala on Thursday. And I have a dinner next Tuesday. And 2 already set up for December, not to mention all the holiday parties- ABC has their annual skating party at Rockfeller and while I do not skate, I do love to attend. Other networks have their own holiday parties and of course, my company always does something (though hoping this year it's family friendly so I don't have to miss another night with my girl!). It's a lot. And I'm bad about getting out for work dinners but I do realize that if I want to get to that next step, I really need to make the effort to get out there where my bosses already are. It's so hard to walk that perfect line of being in the place I want to be professionally and also being a great Mom to Mo and partner to Bill. Most days I don't have to think about the bigger picture but when I do it's so hard to know if I'm doing the right thing.
 |
| She loves climbing into open cabinets! |
 |
| Friday music |
I'll be the first to admit that while I know my place in this world is right where I am with a fullfilling and mostly upwardly mobile career, I second guess myself a fair amount now that I'm a mom. Not ever seriously but it usually builds up when we can't make a weekday playdate (though it is still nice to be invited!), then escalates when I try to work from home but either can't or find myself glued to my phone (something I HATE because I'd so much rather have
quality time with my favorite girl). Throw in a few nights where I have work dinners or mandatory nights out on top of my one night I work out to stay in shape/feel good, not to mention the non-mandatory night (Mama's night) and date nights with Bill (because we really do need that time alone together and hanging on the couch after Mo's gone to bed doesn't cut it), and then I'm counting on one hand the hours I'm spending with my kid during the week and that. just. sucks.
I'm trying to let go of that unavoidable tension I get every time I work from home, that feeling like I need to over-compensate. The truth is, I never even blink when someone I work with is working from home, or get frustrated if they aren't immediately responsive, so I'm trying to get better about just letting it go when I'm in that position. They all know I can do my job, and well, so I just need to let myself chill a little. And yes, I'd love it if my company actually had a work from home policy but the truth is, whenever I need to be I'm home with my girl. And for the past year I've been the only working Mom on my team (there were two working Dad's, but their wives mostly stayed home or worked part-time, so not exactly the same) but in just a few months we'll have two more. And my strategy counterparts are made up of a mom of two and three and another mom-to-be. So here I am walking the fine line of taking advantage when I can... but not taking too much advantage. Good times.
 |
| I do love my mornings getting ready for work with Mo though. |
 |
| Independent play with Mama's makeup. |
Upcoming:
- As I said earlier, dinner tonight with Azteca network (going to this East Village Mediterranean place), then the gala on Thursday. Lot's of dinners and holiday parties coming up too.
- Tia Teresa flies in (from a business trip in Kentucky!) on Friday and we have the Rural Alberta Advantage concert that night. Plus ramen and some other fun stuff this weekend.
- Thanksgiving's coming up and Bill and I have a datenight 11/25 (thanks in advance Grandma and Grandpa McKinney!). I have a few ideas for a fun night ;)
 |
| Watching Wall-e together this weekend |
No comments :
Post a Comment